as the Russian/as are Russians?

< Previous | Next >

anti_freaks

Japanese
Hi there:)

Here's a piece of news(source)

I'm wondering how to rewrite this sentence based on this.

We look forward to working with Russia to build our cooperation with them in this area as well recognizing that we share many of the same threats.
1) NATO members are subject to many of the same threats as the Russians.
2) NATO members are subject to many of the same threats as are Russians.

Which one do you think is correct? Or neither?:eek:

• -mack-

American English
    They're both correct and mean the same thing. If we are talking about all Russians and not just a specific group of Russians, you can also say "as Russians."

e2efour

UK English
    If you write "as are (the) Russians"/"as is Russia" you should have a comma before it. Otherwise it seems as if you are using the construction "the same as".

2) NATO members are subject to many of the same threats, as is Russia.

This is saying the same thing in two different ways.

Another example:
    "France has adopted the same policy as Germany".
    "France has adopted the same policy, as has Germany."

It seems to me more natural to use "the same as", as in number 1).

anti_freaks

Japanese
    They're both correct and mean the same thing. If we are talking about all Russians and not just a specific group of Russians, you can also say "as Russians."
    Thanks mack;)In this case, it should be "as Russians":D

If you write "as are (the) Russians"/"as is Russia" you should have a comma before it. Otherwise it seems as if you are using the construction "the same as".

2) NATO members are subject to many of the same threats, as is Russia.

This is saying the same thing in two different ways.

Another example:
    "France has adopted the same policy as Germany".
    "France has adopted the same policy, as has Germany."

It seems to me more natural to use "the same as", as in number 1).
    Thank you very much for your detailed explanation, e2efour:pIt's very clear. Helps a lot. Thanks.;)

Wertis

Banned
    Russian
    "NATO members are subject to many of the same threats as are Russians" is correct as I can see. Can we say "NATO members are subject to many of the same threats as Russians are" having changed the word order?

e2efour

UK English
    Why contrast countries with nationalities? It is more natural to say "Nato members are subject to the same threats as Russia [is]." Is is not necessary.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    2) NATO members are subject to many of the same threats as are Russians.

Which one do you think is correct? Or neither?:eek:

[...]
    I'd say that the first is correct, and the second not.

In the second, I'm going to start by altering Russians to the Russians, because we are talking about the Russians now.

1. NATO members are subject to many of the same threats as the Russians.

No problem: the threats to which NATO members are subject are the same as those to which the Russians are subject.

2. NATO members are subject to many of the same threats as are the Russians.

Here the word same cannot easily apply to both the NATO members and to the Russians, because the sentence is saying that the NATO members are subject to the same threats, and the Russians are subject to the same threats; this is an abuse of the word same, which needs to refer across to both parts of the sentence.

It's like saying My cat has the same problem as has your cat. This can easily be read, My cat, like your cat, has the same problem, as if having the same problem was something one could do independently of other people or cats. The sentence needs rephrasing to show that my cat's problem is the same as your cat's problem. It should be My cat has the same problem as yours.

< Previous | Next >