as their sandy, sleeping beauty tombs

< Previous | Next >

chopin7

Albanian
Hello

It's a documentary movie, "Living in Extreme" about Negev desert.
Narrator guy is talking about wild endemic flowers of Negev in danger of disapearing.
He goes on like this,
"Like the violet Negev Iris, desert flowers patiently await the lifegiving kiss of rain
before they bloom. Competing for pollinators, the vibrant colors dazzle the pastel earth but many,
like the Yerocham Iris, red desert tulip and mountain lily face extinction as their sandy, sleeping beauty tombs,
are increasingly used for construction purposes."

Everything okay, just when he says, "sandy, sleeping beauty tombs" I get lost.
What tombs got to do with flowers?
And what could be his idea with "sleeping beauty tombs"?

Thank you

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    The text should read: "as their sandy, Sleeping-Beauty tombs are increasingly used for construction purposes."

Sleeping Beauty is a character from a European folk-tale - she is beautiful but is cursed by a witch. However, instead of dying, she falls into a deep sleep and is placed inside a glass coffin (some stories have other variants). The sleep lasts for years - until a prince arrives and wakes her by kissing her.

The parallel here is that the flowers wait, under the sand (sandy) tomb (grave/coffin) until kissed (metaphorically) by rain.

Last edited:

MuttQuad

English - AmE
    Hello

It's a documentary movie, "Living in Extreme" about Negev desert.
    Narrator guy is talking about wild endemic flowers of Negev in danger of disapearing.
    He goes on like this,
    "Like the violet Negev Iris, desert flowers patiently await the lifegiving kiss of rain
    before they bloom. Competing for pollinators, the vibrant colors dazzle the pastel earth but many,
    like the Yerocham Iris, red desert tulip and mountain lily face extinction as their sandy, sleeping beauty tombs,
    are increasingly used for construction purposes."

Everything okay, just when he says, "sandy, sleeping beauty tombs" I get lost.
    What tombs got to do with flowers?
    And what could be his idea with "sleeping beauty tombs"?

Thank you
    The flowers are in an essentially "dead" state (metaphor) awaiting the "lifegiving kiss" of rain, which will bring them back to "life" as Sleeping Beauty was awakened by the Prince's kiss in the famous fairy tale. Their resting places, i.e. "tombs" are sandy because they are in the sand of the desert.

chopin7

Albanian
    Okay, clear now.
    Thank you, PaulQ and MuttQuad.
    As I see it, and English is not my language,
    I feel that the use of "tomb" is too much here.
    Sleeping Beauty would be enough.
    Anyway, thanks again.

< Previous | Next >