As tough as it must have been for her to make that decision

< Previous | Next >

JBPARK

As tough as it must have been for her to make that decision, it will be a great opportunity for her not only in terms of improving her language skills but also in terms of gaining global business perspective.

Dear All,

I have a question regarding the above sentence I am working on.

Regarding the subordinate clause, I am not sure if it reads well in relation to the rest of the sentence. Do you think it's too long, or worse yet, the "as ~ as" structure was not a good choice to start the sentence with in this particular instance?

Do you think I can get away with it as it is, or does it need a tweaking?

• icecreamsoldier

New Zealand English
    :thumbsup: Looks good to me. It connects well to the rest of the sentence and it is a good length. Starting with "as...as" in a sentence like this is very appropriate.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I hate that first as, JBP. I think you mean Tough as it must have been for her..., it will be etc.

I know there are people who add that first as, but I wonder what function they think it performs. You are not saying that it was as tough for her as it was for someone else.

boozer

Bulgarian
    No initial 'as' for me as well. In fact, I did think it was a mistake* before I read post 2, though I was obviously wrong.

* Well, not some egregious error, but it does sound odd and superflous. :eek:

< Previous | Next >