as troubled/trouble

flyingcat2008

china,chino
I am now 59. Let a man tell me now that I am of no worth or value, and never will be and the man will be diminished in my eyes. But when a man who had become for me the possessor of all wisdom told me these things, when I was 18, the one diminished was myself.

I am as troubled by the use of the word “woman” to describe the 18-year-old object, briefly, of a 53-year-old’s affections as I am by the use of the word “lover” to describe my 18-year-old self, in the context of that relationship.

From New York Times:
Was Salinger Too Pure for This World?

Hi, everyone:
I don't know what's the difference between "as troubled" and "troubled". "As" is a conjunction or prepostion here??

Thanks very much!!

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    As is an adverb in the construction is "...as1 <adjective/past participle> as2 <subordinate clause>" = to the [equal] extent.

I am as1 troubled by the use of the word “woman” to describe the 18-year-old object, briefly, of a 53-year-old’s affections as2 I am [troubled]by the use of the word “lover” ... "

1 adverb
    2 subordinating conjunction

A simpler version would be:

"I am as happy as I have ever been." -> The extent of my happiness is equal to the extent that it has ever been.

flyingcat2008

china,chino
    Hi, excuse me again~~

Can you explain further? I still didn't figure the meaning out: troubled means upset here? There are many meanings for it. Why if i use word "woman", I feel troubled? Because "I" am
    too young (18), and the word "woman" would cause a feeling of upset?? That 's my understanding..

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    The author of the article is saying that it is not accurate to call an eighteen-year-old girl a "woman", in relation to the famous 53-year-old man who seduced her. Using the word "woman" suggests that the young girl was fully able to understand and choose to have an affair with the man. It suggests that there was a relation of equality between the two people.

< Previous | Next >