as we put out a call for some voters

nagomi

Korean
"CORNISH: So we put out a call for some voters from area churches to meet. The Arran Lake Baptist Church hosted us a few weeks ago in a Bible study classroom. We set out a half circle of gray chairs and this meager plate of supermarket cookies and bottled water. Then we waited. The room began to fill with a real mix of voters - evangelical but of different ages and races."

What does "to put out a call" mean? I can't picture it. I guess they are connecting two or more people on the phone so that they can talk to each other, but I'm sure.

source: Evangelical Christians On Faith And Politics

Last edited:
  • owlman5

English-US
    What does "to put out a call" mean? I can't picture it.
    There probably isn't much to picture, nagomi. I imagine that putting out a call for some voters from area churches to meet would involve asking the pastors of those churches to announce that a meeting would take place. Here, putting out a call means something like announcing something or promoting something.

Last edited:

nagomi

Korean
    Does that mean "to put out" means "to announce"? Can it be used like "I'll put out this announcement"? What's the exact act of "putting out a call"?

There probably isn't much to picture, nagomi. I imagine that putting out a call for some voters from area churches to meet would involve asking the pastors of those churches to announce that a meeting would take place. Here, putting out a call means something like announcing something or promoting something.

owlman5

English-US
    What's the exact act of "putting out a call"?
    There is no exact action involved in putting out a call for something, nagomi. People who want to encourage voters to gather at a meeting may distribute informative flyers regarding that meeting. They may ask pastors of churches to announce the meeting and encourage the members of their congregations to attend the meeting. They may buy some advertising time on a local radio or television station to announce the meeting to the general public... In short, there are many different things that people can do if they want to put out a call for something.

Can it be used like "I'll put out this announcement"?
    This is possible. It would be easier to say I will announce this event, etc.

Remember that to put out a call for something is a loose, colloquial way to say to publicize something, to promote something, or to announce something. It is another way to say that somebody is calling on other people to get involved in something. The phrase probably doesn't deserve any special attention or interest from you. It isn't a big part of the English language or anything like that.

Last edited:

nagomi

Korean
    There is no exact action involved in putting out a call for something, nagomi. People who want to encourage voters to gather at a meeting may post informational flyers regarding that meeting. They may ask pastors of churches to announce the meeting and encourage the members of their congregations to attend the meeting. They may buy some advertising time on a local radio or television station to announce the meeting to the general public... In short, there are many different things that people can do if they want to put out a call for something.

This is possible. It would be easier to say I will announce this event, etc.

Remember that to put out a call for something is a loose, colloquial way to say to publicize something, to promote something, or to announce something. It is another way to say that somebody is calling on other people to get involved in something. The phrase probably doesn't deserve any special attention or interest from you. It isn't a big part of the English language or anything like that.
    From your second feedback, I could finally get that "a call" here is not an actual phone call. That was the image of "a call" of this so I thought of passing or connecting someone with a phone call from somehwere. things settle out when I see it as an calling-out or a message for unspecified individuals. Thank you.

< Previous | Next >