As welcoming as...

kjoyglenn

USA-English
How would one say "as welcoming as"

context- Television has coverted into a part of the nucular family, as welcoming as the family dog.

como acogedora de el perro

muchas gracias

• Tige

USA
    Spain (Català / Spanish)
    "Tan acogedora como el perro de la familia" (It would mean TV welcomes as much as the dog does...) or "tan bien acogida como el perro de la familia" (it would mean the family welcomed TV the same way it welcomed the dog). I'm not sure what you mean, but I hope it helps you...

gonza_arg

Español-Argentina
    Hello. Welcome to the forums.
    Sorry, what does "nucular" mean? Is it "nuclear"?
    Is it "coverted" or "converted"?
    Is "the family dog" a tv programme?
    I'm sorry, it's just so can help you better.

kjoyglenn

USA-English
    yes my spelling is terrible i am sorry,
    the television (in modern culture) has become as welcoming as the family dog

welcoming in the sence that dogs welcome their masters as the door, so its an anthropromorfism, like the tv is always waiting for you...

maybe it would be better to say this- because i dont know how to say the first phrase
    i dont know if its correct though

La televisión se ha convertido en una parte integral de la familia nuclear, tan irremplazable como el perro familiar.

thanks

gonza_arg

Español-Argentina
    So, I would say:
    "La televisión se ha convertido en un integrante más de la familia (nuclear), teniendo (casi) la misma acogida (en su seno) que el perro familiar"
    Even if "familia nuclear" is right, it sounds to me like Jamie Sommers, Steve Austin and their sons...(oldies:D) But anyways, it's right in Spanish.

Tige

USA
    Spain (Català / Spanish)
    Now I understand... In this case, your last sentence is perfect, but also "tan acogedora como el perro familiar" if you prefer to keep using "welcoming"

Sidd

Spain
    Television has coverted into a part of the nucular family, as welcoming as the family dog.
    My two cents:

La televisión se ha convertido en parte del núcleo familiar, alegrando el hogar tanto como el perro de la familia.

So I choose to convey the meaning by changing the words.

< Previous | Next >