'as well as' as a conjunction

< Previous | Next >

Hudji

Thai
Greetings

I would like to know I can use 'as well as' as a conjunction meaning 'and'.

As in the excerpt below, Can I use 'and' in place of 'as well as'.

People in communities need to be educated about environment-friendly

tourism as well as become aware of the presence of tourists...

Thanks in advance.

• sevengem

Chinese
    And can "as well as" be an equivalent of "in addition to..." in this context? My question is when does "as well as" serve as "and" and when as "in addition to...", for I have seen both explanations. Please help and thanks a million!!

Loob

English UK
    And can "as well as" be an equivalent of "in addition to..." in this context? My question is when does "as well as" serve as "and" and when as "in addition to...", for I have seen both explanations.
    Hi sevengem

I think "as well as" is closer to "in addition to" than it is to "and", for two reasons:
    (1) it generally implies 'not only but also': She likes dogs as well as cats= She doesn't only like cats - she likes dogs, too.
    (2) when we follow it with a verb, we generally use the -ING form: He cooks all the meals as well as doing the housework.

That said, it is possible, when there's an infinitive in the preceding main clause, to use a bare infinitive after "as well as": He has to cook all the meals as well as do the housework. That's why Mar Rojo said Hudji's sentence in post 1 was acceptable. Personally, though, I would have preferred Hudji's sentence with an -ING form: People need to be educated as well as becoming aware....

Last edited:

ribran

English - American
    That said, it is possible, when there's an infinitive in the preceding main clause, to use a bare infinitive after "as well as": He has to cook all the meals as well as do the housework. That's why Mar Rojo said Hudji's sentence in post 1 was acceptable. Personally, though, I would have preferred Hudji's sentence with an -ING form: People need to be educated as well as becoming aware....
    I think it's possible, though fairly rare, for a conjugated verb to follow "as well as."

Examples (from Google Books):
    It builds and shares his identity with others as well as helps him to understand himself.
    It offers views as well as asks for others' (Mine would have to be. . .) and is therefore the more effective starter.
    But one night with Sally had made him realise that he needed her as well as​wanted her. (This one appears to be from a trashy British romance novel :D)
    Shogun and emperor alike sponsored prayers, ceremonies and meritorious acts of piety, as well aswent on pilgrimage and secluded themselves to pray for divine assistance in repelling the Mongols

EStjarn

Spanish
    sevengem said:
    My question is when does "as well as" serve as "and" and when as "in addition to..."
    AHD classifies 'as well as' as a preposition meaning 'in addition to' and a conjunction meaning 'and in addition'. We know that it is a preposition if it introduces a prepositional phrase. The position of such a phrase can often be altered (Loob's example):

He cooks all the meals as well as doing the housework.
    As well as doing the housework, he cooks all the meals.

This shifting wouldn't be possible if 'as well as' was a conjunction (ribran's example):

It builds and shares his identity with others as well as helps him to understand himself.
    As well as helps him to understand himself, it builds and shares his identity with others.

In a sentence such as She likes dogs as well as cats, I don't think we can tell whether 'as well as' is a conjunction or a preposition. It could be either.

< Previous | Next >