as well as + bare infinitive or gerund

< Previous | Next >

the1dsuniverse

Spanish
Hey! Should 'as well as' be followed by a bare infinitive as in:

Furthermore, police should take measures regarding the apparent drug problem that exists throughout the city as well as attempt to keep these alleged ‘gangs’ under control.

Or by a gerund?

Emma works full time as well as studying for her master's degree; she's remarkable.

• nike20008

French
    Hey! Should 'as well as' be followed by a bare infinitive as in:

Furthermore, police should take measures regarding the apparent drug problem that exists throughout the city as well as attempt to keep these alleged ‘gangs’ under control.

Or by a gerund?

Emma works full time as well as studying for her master's degree; she's remarkable.
    Gerund
    As well as doing something

the1dsuniverse

Spanish
    But in all cases? I mean, wouldn't it be weird to use a gerund in my first example?

What strikes me as strange is the fact that 'attempt' is somehow related to 'should' as well, and that's why I thought it could be put that way (without ing)

london calling

UK English
    A difficult question. It depends whether you consider 'as well as' a preposition and use the ing-form, or a conjunction (which purists think it is) and use the bare infinitive.

1. Furthermore, police should take measures regarding the apparent drug problem that exists throughout the city as well as attempt to keep these alleged ‘gangs’ under control.
    Purists will tell you that attempt is technically more correct and respects the rule whereby structures need to be parallel (take measures....attempt) but 'attempting' is commonly used in sentences of this type. Others will say that the sentence is incorrect in any case and should be written: Furthermore, police should take measures regarding the apparent drug problem that exists throughout the city and attempt to keep these alleged ‘gangs’ under control.

2. Emma works full time as well as studying for her master's degree; she's remarkable:tick:....as well as study.... :cross:
    See above. Here as well as is considered a preposition and therefore takes the ing-form.

In any case this has already been discussed in previous threads:

as well as
    as well as
    as well as
    as well as
    as well as
    As well use+gerund
    as well as do/doing

the1dsuniverse

Spanish
    I have checked those out but all threads seem to reach the conclusion that on the one hand parallelism is important, and on the other, a participle should follow 'as well as' since it's a preposition. That's why I'm sort of confused I guess.

Ivan_I

Russian
    A difficult question. It depends whether you consider 'as well as' a preposition and use the ing-form, or a conjunction (which purists think it is) and use the bare infinitive.

1. Furthermore, police should take measures regarding the apparent drug problem that exists throughout the city as well as attempt to keep these alleged ‘gangs’ under control.
    Purists will tell you that attempt is technically more correct and respects the rule whereby structures need to be parallel (take measures....attempt) but 'attempting' is commonly used in sentences of this type.

2. Emma works full time as well as studying for her master's degree; she's remarkable:tick:....as well as study.... :cross:
    SO,
    Emma works full time as well as study for her master's degree; she's remarkable. Is absolutely unacceptable?

Ivan_I

Russian
    OK. Why is this one not possible?
    Emma works full time as well as studieS for her master's degree; she's remarkable.

< Previous | Next >