, as well as indicating

< Previous | Next >

sunyaer

Chinese
This is a sentence I made myself.

"The word in that sentence has a sense of prediction, as well as indicating willingness."

How is the phrase "as well as indicating willingness" functioning in the sentence? Is "as well as" linking "a sense of prediction" and "indicating willingness"?

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    As I understand it, "as well as" functions as a conjunctive adverb phrase. I'm not sure about your second question: to me, it's linking the two clauses together.

Aside: Some sources suggest that conjunctive adverbs link between independent clauses, but that is clearly not the case in the example above — in which I might have omitted the comma.

sunyaer

Chinese
    As I understand it, "as well as" functions as a conjunctive adverb phrase. I'm not sure about your second question: to me, it's linking the two clauses together.
    What are the two clauses?

Aside: Some sources suggest that conjunctive adverbs link between independent clauses, but that is clearly not the case in the example above — in which I might have omitted the comma.
    I found two sentences with "as well as + gerund" in this post #7:

1. The second two sentences here show that in the first one we are concerned with willingness as well as making a prediction.

2. I think this has predictive force, as well as indicating willingness -

I feel these two sentences are quite natural, one with comma before "as well as", one without, why?

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >