as well as living/live

< Previous | Next >

LQZ

Mandarin
Since there are not so many gaps to close among the old people as between the old people and younger family members, it will be easier for the old to find someone to recall their golden times, and chat together, as well as living comfortably and enjoyably.

Dear all,

I am trying to write an article about whether seniors should stay home or in a nursing home. I was wondering if living is grammatically correct, not live. Could you help me? Thanks.

LQZ

• Aidanriley

English
    Since there are not so many gaps to close among the old people as between the old people and younger family members, it will be easier for the old to find someone to recall their golden times, and chat together, as well as living comfortably and enjoyably.

Dear all,

I am trying to write an article about whether seniors should stay home or in a nursing home. I was wondering if living is grammatically correct, not live. Could you help me? Thanks.

LQZ
    Your sentence really confuses me, I apologize :(, do you mean if they were to live in a nursing home amongst other elderly people there are less gaps to close, whereas at home with family members there are many? No, I don't think "as well as living..." is correct, because it should be referring back to it will be easier (to live comfortably and enjoyably).

Here is my suggestion, but I'm not sure if I've changed your intended meaning:

Since there are not as many gaps to close among other elderly people as there are living with younger family members, it will be easier for them to find someone to relive(?) their golden times with, and to chat with, as well as to live comfortably and enjoyably.

LQZ

Mandarin
    Your sentence really confuses me, I apologize :(, do you mean if they were to live in a nursing home amongst other elderly people there are less gaps to close, whereas at home with family members there are many? No, I don't think "as well as living..." is correct, because it should be referring back to it will be easier (to live comfortably and enjoyably).

Here is my suggestion, but I'm not sure if I've changed your intended meaning:

Since there are not as many gaps to close among other elderly people as there are living with younger family members, it will be easier for them to find someone to relive(?) their golden times with, and to chat with, as well as to live comfortably and enjoyably.
    Thank you, Aidanriley. :)

Your reply gave me the answer to my question, but I have a question about part of your sentence. I will post aother thread to ask. Thanks again.

< Previous | Next >