as well as more super-empowered breakers

< Previous | Next >

Michael30000

Russian
Hello everyone,

From the book Thank You for Being Late by Thomas Friedman.

If we don’t visit the World of Disorder in the age of accelera-tions, it will visit us. This is especially true when you know that the age of accelerations is going to continue to hammer frail states and produce migration flows, particularly from Africa and the Middle East toward Europe, as well as more super-empowered breakers.

Does more refer to breakers, i.e. increase in the number of breakers?
Or does "more" refer to super-empowered?

Thank you.

• kentix

English - U.S.
    I think it refers to more breakers, of the super-empowered type. But I don't know that term. Does he explain it?

Michael30000

Russian
    I think it refers to more breakers, of the super-empowered type. But I don't know that term. Does he explain it?
    Thank you, kentix.

Yes, Mr. Friedman explains the term. Modern technologies (like the Internet, mobile phones, social networks, etc.) give people big possibilities, i.e. empower them. Those who use these possibilities for doing good things are called makers, and those who use them for bad things are called breakers. An example of a breaker would be a guy who drove a guy into a crowd in France. People who hack hospitals' computer to demand ransom are breakers as well.

< Previous | Next >