as well as

navi

Banned
armenian
Which is correct:

1-Jane, as well as Sally and John, thinks that way.
2-Jane as well as Sally and John thinks that way.

3-Jane, as well as Sally and John, think that way.
4-Jane as well as Sally and John think that way.

• Ed the Editor

navi said:
    Which is correct:

Hi Navi,

In American English, I'd say that only #1 is right.

#2 needs the commas that are in #1.

#3 and #4 don't work in American English, because only "Jane" is the subject of the sentence. The verb needs to be "thinks," rather than "think".

If you change the word order, you get "Jane thinks that way, as well as Sally and John. The phrase "as well as Sally and John" is additional information in the sentence, but not part of the subject (at least, to us Yanks. I think the British feel that Sally and John are part of the subject).

I hope this is helpful.

-- Ed

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Forgive me, but this is a sterile question.
    Never, not ever, would I want to say anything like this.
    So, whether 3 is more grammatical than 2, or 1 less than 4, is as useful a debate as the ancient one about how many angels dance on the point of a needle.

emma42

British English
    I would, Panj, but only if I were talking in a particular register. I tend to switch quite a lot depending on the situation. Not to be dishonest or anything, just because it seems to aid communication. And, I have different registers naturally. Don't you, then?

A90Six

England - English.
    emma42 said:
    I would, Panj, but only if I were talking in a particular register. I tend to switch quite a lot depending on the situation. Not to be dishonest or anything, just because it seems to aid communication. And, I have different registers naturally. Don't you, then?
    Sorry panj, but it looks like Emma42, as well as Ed the Editor and Random1, thinks that number one is preferable.:)

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    I'm with panjandrum up to a point.
    While I would never say any of them, they do sound like something a petulant child might say in an argument with a parent! :rolleyes:

se16teddy

English - England
    panjandrum said:
    Forgive me, but this is a sterile question.
    Never, not ever, would I want to say anything like this.
    So, whether 3 is more grammatical than 2, or 1 less than 4, is as useful a debate as the ancient one about how many angels dance on the point of a needle.

I think Panjandrum has a good point. The usual construction would be 'Jane thinks that way as well', or 'It's not just Sally and John who think that way: Jane does too'.

A90Six

England - English.
    navi said:
    Which is correct:

This is the question. The answer is 1. Everything else is an aside.