as well from the languages 'therein' mentioned into English

TheRealMcCoy

Banned
Portuguese-Portugal
"Since 1991 I've been a translator and a reviser in the language pairs indicated
in my resumé, as well from the languages therein mentioned into English." May
I use the adverb "therein" in this context? Thanks.

• Glenfarclas

English (American)
    Yes; I assume you know that "therein" sounds very formal. How many languages are they, anyway? Is it really worth referring people to your résumé (which has two accents, or zero, but never just one) instead of just telling people what they are?

TheRealMcCoy

Banned
    Portuguese-Portugal
    Thanks. I just put it that way because though I have a good command of English
    I've never made any translations into this language, which I would like to. According
    to Dictionary.com the word "résumé" can be written the way I did it.

Last edited:

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    Thanks. I just put it that way because though I have a good command of English
    I've never made any translations into this language, which I would like to.
    I'm confused: according to the sentence in your original post, you have been translating into English for the last 24 years. :confused:

According
    to Dictionary.com the word "résumé" can be written the way I did it.
    If it's on the internet, it must be true! (I just hope that one of your languages isn't French...)

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Instead of "the languages therein mentioned", which sounds like legalese, you could simply say "those languages".

"The languages therein mentioned" is even more formal than "the languages mentioned therein".

TheRealMcCoy

Banned
    Portuguese-Portugal
    Instead of "the languages therein mentioned", which sounds like legalese, you could simply say "those languages".

"The languages therein mentioned" is even more formal than "the languages mentioned therein".
    Thanks. I will take up your suggestion.

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    Thanks for your remark. As the saying goes, practice makes perfect.
    No, it's that in your first post you said: "Since 1991 I've been a translator and a reviser . . . from the languages therein mentioned into English." Then you told us, "though I have a good command of English I've never made any translations into this language." I guess it's your own business, but this is clear contradiction. Just saying.

TheRealMcCoy

Banned
    Portuguese-Portugal
    No, it's that in your first post you said: "Since 1991 I've been a translator and a reviser . . . from the languages therein mentioned into English." Then you told us, "though I have a good command of English I've never made any translations into this language." I guess it's your own business, but this is clear contradiction. Just saying.

What? That's precisely what my last post was intended to mean. Thanks.

Myridon

English - US
    My reading:
    In your resume, there are language pairs:
    French and German
    Greek and Russian
    You can translate back and forth between French and German.
    You can translate back and forth between Russian and Greek.
    You can translate French, German, Russian and Greek into English, but you can't translate English into anything.

TheRealMcCoy

Banned
    Portuguese-Portugal
    You're wrong, except for the last statement in your last sentence. Of course, I can't, that's why I rephrased the whole covering letter so as to get rid myself of that <-----Inappropriate comment removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >