as well /too

evoo

turkish
hi all
this is my first entry in wordreferences.com
could you pls help about how to use "as well" or "too" in such sentence.

1. At the end of the last year, the wind energy capacity of Turkey was more than 800 megawatts with its 24 installed wind power stations. And many of those, too, are waiting to be installed in the near future.

At the end of the last year, the wind energy capacity of Turkey was more than 800 megawatts with its 24 installed wind power stations. And many of those are waiting to be installed as well in the near future.

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Hello Evoo.

I'll try to help you.

There are a few points which need making:

1. If the 24 installed wind-power stations give a capacity of more than 800 megawatts, how come some of them haven't yet been installed? I can only assume that you mean you've got 24 already and they give 800 megawatts, and that further stations of the same kind are going to be installed. I think the problem stems from your use of these, which refers back to the power stations already installed.

2. The use of the with-clause is extremely clumsy, which is why I've turned round your sentence and made the power stations the subject.

3. The point you ask about, the use of too or as well: there isn't a problem here, except that I'd put as well earlier in the sentence: in the same place as the too in the earlier sentence.

4. Because of the problem of meaning I mentioned in 1., I wondered if you didn't mean:

By the end of the last year, 24 wind-power stations contributed 800 megawatts a year to Turkey's energy capacity. And many similar stations are due to be installed in the near future.

I don't think people would automatically understand this from what you've written.

peptidoglycan

Turkish
    Technically, they are , I think, both correct. But, the first sentence sounds better to me.

Edit: Sorry, Thomas. I didn't see your post.

evoo

turkish
    thanks for the clarification.

and yes Thomas.. the turned-around way of my sentence is exactly what i want to say.
    the numbers of wind-power stations must be the subject of the 1st sentence considering the sentence after it.

thanks.

< Previous | Next >