as were France and America [as?]

herrforest

chinese
I have recently read a sentence:
It is easier to believe in an eternally tranquil past if your nation was not forged in rebellion, as were France and America, for example.
Does it mean "France and America were forged in rebellion" or not, how can I explain the meaning of "as" here? TIA.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Does it mean "France and America were forged in rebellion"- Yes.
    How can I explain the meaning of "as" here? (You can't, otherwise you would not ask. :);)) "As were France and America" = "in the manner that France and America were"

Schimmelreiter

Deutsch
    Of course they were: French Revolution & a minor dispute with the Brits, respectively. :)

as were France and America = which is how France and America were (forged)

Cross-posted with Paul.

bearded

as were France and America = which is how France and America were (forged)
    Hello SR
    I of course agree with your interpretation (the only possible one). However, I find the presence of a comma before ''as'' rather tricky, because - without us knowing the historical context - it would also allow the meaning ''not forged in rebellion''. Without that comma ('forged in rebellion as were France and America') the sentence would appear clearer to me. Do you agree?

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Hi, bearded man, I don't think there's a possibility of ambiguity. For the possible interpretation you suggest, I'd say "...were, unlike F. and A., not forged in rebellion."

exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    BM, your negative sense would be written this way: It is easier to believe in an eternally tranquil past if your nation was not forged in rebellion, as France and America were not, for example.

In the positive meaning, the phrase can be inverted or not, but in the negative meaning it cannot be inverted.

< Previous | Next >