as William and Harry in Britain talk of duty, of humility and of shunning politics precisely

枫十二

Mandarin
I was reading The Trump family demonstrates why America shuns hereditary rule .

In private, envoys to Washington compare the Trump children to princes and princesses in a royal court. That is a bit unfair to princes: such modern examples as William and Harry in Britain talk of duty, of humility and of shunning politics precisely because they are unelected.

I don't understand the bold part. especially that three "of ". Could you explain it in another way? I only get this: That is a bit unfair to princes, because they are unelected.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
  • Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Modern princes, like William and Harry talk about the following things:
    duty,
    humility,
    shunning politics.​

These are good qualities to discuss. It shows the princes are concerned about other people.

The princes do this because they have not been elected. Perhaps he means that the princes behave well to keep people from criticizing them for trying to rule without being elected. That is, the author thinks that princes behave better than the Trump children. However, the link doesn't work for me, so I don't know what he thinks the Trump children do that they shouldn't do.

Grammatically: You could write this two ways:
    William and Harry in Britain talk of duty, of humility and of shunning politics
    Or you can leave out the 'of's'.
    William and Harry in Britain talk of duty, humility and shunning politics

< Previous | Next >