as yet unknown consequences? why "as" used here?

< Previous | Next >
  • Camlearner

Khmer
    Thanks Beryl. I seem to understand the meaning and I also still curious Why the writer write as yet ? why the as added here ? what's its part of speech or special use here? AND can I delete it and the sentence's meaning unchanged??

"The many benefits of the ultrasound as a diagnostic tool tend to outweigh any apprehensions of yet unknown consequences."

Camlearner

Khmer
    Thank you Beryl for your try to help me however.

P.S: I guess: sentence falls over mean sentence is incorrect? Wow English many words and phrases new!

Camlearner

Khmer
    :thumbsup:
    :)
    Second P.S: I almost want to continue to ask : so what's the opposite of fall over=incorrect ? Must it be fall under or fall down that = correct ? because over is # under. The sentence fall under = The sentence is correct... ? I think this post can be deleted if I ask a lot. No probelm.

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    :thumbsup:
    Second P.S: I almost want to continue to ask : so what's the opposite of fall over=incorrect ? Must it be fall under or fall down that = correct ? because over is # under. The sentence fall under = The sentence is correct... ? I think this post can be deleted if I ask a lot. No probelm.
    I would be happy to answer that question in another thread, and so might others be.

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    Thanks Beryl. I seem to understand the meaning and I also still curious Why the writer write as yet ? why the as added here ? what's its part of speech or special use here? AND can I delete it and the sentence's meaning unchanged??

"The many benefits of the ultrasound as a diagnostic tool tend to outweigh any apprehensions of yet unknown consequences."
    Maybe, if you remove the 'as' then the lone 'yet' takes on its adverbial meaning of 'further' (or 'additional'), which takes the sentence to a strange place.
    That's the meaning my mind keeps trying to force on it at any rate. Somebody call a grammarian!

Camlearner

Khmer
    Thanks Beryl.

So I can conclude that:

As yet unknown = not yet known.

Yet unknown = further or additional unknown or in my simple understand is : unknown more or more unknown.
    "The many benefits of the ultrasound as a diagnostic tool tend to outweigh any apprehensions of yet unknown (or 'more unknown/further unknown/additional unknown') consequences."

< Previous | Next >