As you already know

ihsaan

Norwegian
Hi,

How can one say "As you already know...", in Arabic?

(Example: As you already know, I´m a student.)

• ihsaan

Norwegian
    Uhm..but..how would one include the "already"? (I know that this is implicit in the "as you know..", but still...). A situation is for example where you want to emphasise that you´ve mentioned something previously, and so the person should already know this and not ask about it again. )

clevermizo

English (USA), Spanish
    Uhm..but..how would one include the "already"? (I know that this is implicit in the "as you know..", but still...). A situation is for example where you want to emphasise that you´ve mentioned something previously, and so the person should already know this and not ask about it again. )
    I would say:

كما قد عرفتـ(م) ، أنا طالب

I realize this is past tense, but I think in this utterance it could have present tense force (like فهمت "I have understood it> I understand.")

This would mean "as you have (already) come to know, I am a student." Remember, there's no exact translation for "already" but the past tense + قد can bring this across. There is also this thread about that.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    I would not say كما قد عرفت. If someone said that to me I'd be confused.

Furthermore, I don't think that قد expresses an "already" nuance. One construction that often works is سبق و, so in the context of you having told someone something you could say كما سبق وقلتُ لك.

Idris

Urdu (Pakistan)
    I think that in this context كما تعلمون is more common than كما تعرفون

< Previous | Next >