"as you get a pass on attendance"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Yul, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Yul Senior Member

Canada, French
    Context:
    Yes, our 15th annual winter show is Saturday, November 29. This is a very special weekend ias it is the opening of the ski season and a long weekend for Americans as they celebrate Thanksgiving. We have many visitors to the resort during this time and it also gives us a good inventory of paintings for the Christmas season.

Question:

How would you say otherwise "as you get a pass on attendance" in the sentence below below:

"We hope this is an “easy” show for you as you get a pass on attendance! During this particular show it is difficult to find accommodations so we will not request your presence!...just your paintings or sculptures!"

Thanks
    Yul

2. BONJOURMONAMOUR Senior Member

"We hope this is an “easy” show for you as you will automatically gain a pass by simply entering!
    During this particular show, it is difficult to find accommodation so we will not request your presence!...just your paintings or sculptures!"

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  3. Yul Senior Member

Canada, French
    Thanks, nice nickname!
    Yul

4. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Ah, I understood "get a pass on attendance" differently from Bonjourmonamour. I read pass as in noun meaning 11 in the WR dictionary
    and therefore as indicating that the artists didn't need to attend.

If that is the meaning you were aiming for, Yul, then I suggest you simply say something like: We hope this will be an “easy” show for you: you won't even need to attend!

(As regards accommodations and Bonjour's suggested change to accommodation, I believe the plural is used in AmE/CanE, although it's not in BrE).

5. Yul Senior Member

Canada, French
    Thanks Loob,

I appreciated your intervention.

Yul