as you see them in certain movies

azz

armenian
Can one say

a. Scientists are not eccentric as you see in certain movies. They are normal people like you and me.
b. Scientists are not eccentric as you see them in certain movies. They are normal people like you and me.

c. People with mental illnesses are not cheerful as you see in certain movies. Most of them are truly sad.
d. People with mental illnesses are not cheerful as you see them in certain movies. Most of them are truly sad.

?

The sentences are mine.

I am not really sure which ones to choose! Sometimes I think 'them' is needed. Sometimes I think it is wrong. Sometimes I think one can keep it or omit it!

Many thanks.

• Copyright

American English
    I wouldn't use "them" in these, and thinking about it, I would probably reword the first sentence, as well.

Scientists are not as eccentric as they are portrayed in certain movies.
    Scientists are not as eccentric as those you see in certain movies.
    Scientists are not as eccentric as what you see in certain movies.

Added: Putting "as" after "not" in three places.

Last edited:

azz

armenian
    Thank you so much Copyright!

That was fast!

Would you put a comma in

Scientists are not eccentric as they are portrayed in certain movies.

before 'as'?

Many thanks.

Copyright

American English
    Sorry, but in my haste I hadn't noticed there was a missing "as" in each of those sentences. I've corrected it now. It is an "as ... as" comparison structure.

Definitely no comma.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I suggest "some movies" instead of "certain movies". "Some movies" is more general and, I think, closer to your meaning.

"Certain" is usually used for a particular set. For example "They were portrayed this way, in certain movies produced in France in the 1950s."

I don't mean that your use of "certain" above is wrong or unacceptable. It is okay.

< Previous | Next >