as you step outside

Discussion in 'English Only' started by SuprunP, Oct 3, 2016.

1. SuprunP

SuprunP Senior Member

Ukraine
    Ukrainian & Russian
    Acting in the same way as you always do generally results in the same outcomes, so flexibility, creativity and imagination become your new friends as you step outside your comfort zone a little and try new options.
    (Life Coaching For Dummies)

Would you be so kind as to tell me whether it is possible to read it as either 'when' or 'because'?

Thanks.

2. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    "When" looks like a reasonable substitute for "as" in that sentence, Suprun. "Because" really doesn't carry the same meaning.

3. SuprunP

SuprunP Senior Member

Ukraine
    Ukrainian & Russian
    Thank you owlman5!

Have I understood you correctly that we can only speak about the 'relative probability' ('relative reasonableness'), as it were, of 'when' being the implied meaning or can we be sure?

Thanks.

4. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    You're welcome. I always enjoy your questions in here.

I really didn't give "relative reasonableness" any conscious thought when I posted that answer. I just looked at "as" in the sentence and told myself " 'When' would mean the same thing." As soon as I read the suggestion "because", I rejected it because it doesn't mean the same thing that "as" does in the original sentence.

5. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    Here's an afterthought, Suprun.

"As" with the meaning of "because" is pretty limited in use. I could clearly see that "as" didn't mean "because" in that context.

Here's an example of "as" used to mean "because" in a sentence: As you are such a wealthy man, you can pay for lunch today.

6. SuprunP

SuprunP Senior Member

Ukraine
    Ukrainian & Russian