As you will come to see

grammar-in-use

Chinese
Hello everyone,

Could someone help me with this following passage from a book ( - Slowing Down to the Speed of Life: How to Create a Peaceful, Simpler Life from the Inside Out)?

Although mental health is the cure-all for living our lives, it is perfectly ordinary as you will see that it has been there to direct you through all your difficult decisions. It has been available even in the most mundane of life situations to show you right from wrong, good from bad, friend from foe. Mental health has commonly been called conscience, instinct, wisdom, common sense, or the inner voice. We think of it simply as a health and helpful flow of intelligent thought. As you will come to see, knowing that mental health is always available and knowing to trust it allow us to slow down to the moment and live life happily.

Questions regarding the two as-clauses:
1. In "as you will see that...", is the "as" used to state the reason for something? That is, is this as-clause an adverbial clause of reason?

2. Is "as you will come to see" comparable or similar in meaning to "as you will understand"?
It is not an adverbial clause of time, is it? I'd interpret the as-clause roughly as:
You will come to see that knowing that mental health...
Am I correct?

I would really appreciate your help.

• grassy

Polish
    Hello grammar-in-use
    In "as you will see that...", is the "as" used to state the reason for something? That is, is this as-clause an adverbial clause of reason?
    Yes, I think you could replace 'as' with 'because' there.

For one moment, I read it as: Although mental health is the cure-all for living our lives, it is perfectly ordinary, as you will see, that it has been there to direct you through all your difficult decisions.
    With 'it' referring to the that-clause that follows. However, that doesn't make much sense context-wise and that's why 'it' has to refer to 'mental health'.
    I'd interpret the as-clause roughly as:
    You will come to see that knowing that mental health...
    Am I correct?
    Yes. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

grammar-in-use

Chinese
    Did you see my edit? :D
    Hi Grassy,

I've just seen it.😊

I never would have thought it could have been read the way you did! Pretty interesting...
    Thank you for your illuminating parsing!

it is perfectly ordinary as you will see that it has been there to direct you...
    ...knowing that mental health is always available and knowing to trust it allow us to slow down to the moment and live life happily.
    Incidentally, all the three "it"s refer to "mental health", don't they?

< Previous | Next >