asentador, trazador, alarife

Discussion in 'Specialized Terminology' started by Scallywag, Feb 3, 2013.

  1. Scallywag New Member

    British English
    Dear all,
    Translating an abstract from Spanish to English concerning building techniques I have found the following old professions or trades in Spanish:
    asentador (seemingly one who lays foundations), trazador (one who draws lines), and alarife (something similar to foreman). I would be grateful for any ideas about the English versions of such professions, if they exist.
    Thanking you in advance for your assistance.
  2. Sprachliebhaber Moderator

    USA English
    An asentador might nowadays be a mason, stonemason (or just a foundation worker). A trazador lays out the building; if it is a profession, perhaps surveyor. An alarife in old terminology may be what we now call an architect. The word comes from the Arabic, "expert".

Share This Page