Asian languages: Water or Food ("nah-nah")

thewilliamsfamily

English
I apologize for my ignorance - this is my first post. I have tried searching the web and this forum unsuccessfully.

My 10 month old daughter goes to a childcare center with an Asian boy (I am unsure which country he is from). Whenever he wants to eat or drink he says something that sounds phonetically like "nah-nah". My daughter has picked up on this and now she too says "nah-nah" whenever she wants to eat or drink.

I was hoping someone could help me understand what language this is and what the actual translation into English is. This was my daughter's first word and I wondered if it was just jibberish or if it actually had meaning in an Asian language.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    In Arabic (at least in the Palestinian dialect), little kids sometimes say "nan-nah" to mean "food." It's colloquial.

But I don't think most people would classify Arabic as an Asian language. :)

thewilliamsfamily

English
    Thank you all for your responses. I am quite sure he is trying to say "Nai Nai". It is amazing how quickly they all pick things up from one another.

Thanks again!

< Previous | Next >