asilo nido vs. scuola dell' infanzia (ex. scuola materna)

MummyGiuly

Italian
Salve, in BE quale è la traduzione per asilo nido? Day nursery è corretto ? intendo per i bambini dalla nascita ai tre anni.
Kindergarten è corretto per scuola dell' infanzia (ex-scuola materna) dai tre ai cinque anni?
Grazie

• Puccini

English- British
    Ciao.
    I would say nursery, day nursery or day care for children from 0-5, nursery school for more organised services linked to schools (usually for children aged 3-5).
    Kindergarten is more like nursery school in my opinion. However, remember that the terms are more flexible than in Italian and there is no definitive answer

elfa

English
    I agree with Puccini - these terms often overlap. In my experience, kindergarten is quite often allied (and acts as a pre-school) to a private school and, as such, is more structured than "pre-school", which is another term you might like to consider. "Nursery" definitely has no "academic" content whereas "pre-school" might, and "kindergarten" definitely would. :)

MummyGiuly

Italian
    many thanks to everybody for the answers. I world like to add that this morning My British-English speaking teacher from University told me that in UK they say crèche for asilo nido and pre-school for scuola materna.

curiosone

AE - hillbilly ;)
    And, even tho' this subject has been discussed elsewhere ad nauseum, I wish to specify that when I went to kindergarten, you had to be at least 5 years old. Immediately after kindergarten comes 1st grade (and regular elementary school).

< Previous | Next >