Ask any girl and they'll tell you that lipsticks are the best

Emily Tran

vietnamese
"Ask any girl and they'll tell you that lipsticks are the best" or It should be "Ask any girl and she will tell you that lipsticks are the best"
Which one is correct or both are correct?

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    'They' is becoming increasingly common in this situation, because it's an indefinite person, even though we know the sex of the person.

Kirill V.

Russian
    I think you may want to express that idea more explicitly then:
    Ask any girl and they/she will tell you that lipsticks are a great thing

or something of that sort;)

Last edited:

Copyright

American English
    Thank you. Your original sentence doesn't convey any of that, of course. So you just might like to say it if you want it understood.

"Ask any girl and she'll tell you (that) lipstick makes her look more beautiful and gives her more confidence."

Emily Tran

vietnamese
    Thank you. Your original sentence doesn't convey any of that, of course. So you just might like to say it if you want it understood.

"Ask any girl and she'll tell you (that) lipstick makes her look more beautiful and gives her more confidence."
    I just wanted to keep my sentence short, sorry for not providing you with enough information

Copyright

American English
    Following kayve then: "Ask any girl and she'll tell you that lipstick is great."

We won't have any idea why she says that – maybe she likes the taste – but your context may help.