ask for directions

< Previous | Next >

cambiandodetema

English-US
Good morning, good evening--whatever it is where ever you are.

My Spanish class is discussing stereotypes. I would like to be able to say the following in Spanish:

Men always get lost, because they never ask for directions.

Thanks for your help.

• outkast

English, USA
    We need you to give it a try first.
    Then we'll all jump in and fix whatever needs fixing.

testoduro

Español(de España)
    Are "indicaciones" and "direcciones" interchangeable in this sentence?
    I personally think they are not. Direcciones in the sense of the English term 'directions' is a loan use adopted from English. Even indicaciones ​sounds a bit forced. I would probably say the sentence like this: Los hombres siempre se pierden porque nunca se paran a preguntar.

salusky

Spanish - Mexico
    I'm with steemic on this one. You have to remember that this idiomatic might be expressed differently depending on the country (Spanish being such an international language). So what may sound natural in Mexico might not sound natural in Spain or Argentina. I think the US variant is quite similar to that of Mexico, for obvious reasons. In Mexico we would say what steemic proposed. "indicaciones" is close enough for me to understand what the person means once put in context, but it would not come naturally to me as my first choice in conversation. Also what testoduro offered is a valid translation. It is less literal, but perfectly valid (what is calle a dynamic translation). Although I do not trust literal translations, in this case, it is possible to stick very closely to the original. Those are my two cents.

cambiandodetema

English-US
    So salusky how would you say in general conversation "Men are always getting lost, because they never ask for directions."? I'm making flashcards with some of these sentences, so that I can memorize them and have automatic standards. Also, what would a Cuban or Mexican (I have the most contact with these) Spanish speaker say?

< Previous | Next >