ask somebody a question

Elsa Ginger

Mandrin
Hello All!

Which of the following two sentences is right to say "We ask the lecture what he is going to talk about."

1. Le preguntamos de qué tema va a hablar el conferenciante.
2. Le preguntamos de qué tema va a hablar al conferenciante.

¡Muchas Gracias!

• blasita

Spain. Left six years ago
    Hello.
    The second is the one you need: Le preguntamos al conferenciante de qué tema va a hablar/qué tema va a tratar.

1. We ask(ed) him/her/you what the lecturer is going to talk about.

2. We ask(ed) the lecturer what he/she ¡s going to talk about. (Le and al conferenciante are IO). Although it could also mean: ... what he/she/you are going to talk about with the lecturer.

I think you mean asked, don't you? It makes more sense to me.

Saludos.

Last edited:

juan2937

Banned
    Spanish
    Hello All!

Which of the following two sentences is right to say "We ask the lecture what he is going to talk about."

¡Muchas Gracias!
    1.- ...de qué tema hablará/tratará el conferencista
    2.-... de qué tema hablará al auditorio.

Last edited:

Elsa Ginger

Mandrin
    Hello.
    The second is the one you need: Le preguntamos al conferenciante de qué tema va a hablar/qué tema va a tratar.

1. We ask(ed) him/her/you what the lecturer is going to talk about.

2. We ask(ed) the lecturer what he/she ¡s going to talk about. (Le and al conferenciante are IO). Although it could also mean: ... what he/she/you are going to talk about with the lecturer.

I think you mean asked, don't you? It makes more sense to me.

Saludos.
    Thank you blasita! You are a big help. Yes, it would make more sense to say "asked", but it seems simpler to use present tense.:D

Elsa Ginger

Mandrin
    1.- ...de qué tema hablará/tratará el conferenciasta
    2.-... de qué tema hablará al auditorio.
    Thank you juan2937! I get why you use the future tense in both sentences, but shouldn't the first one be "Le preguntamos de qué tema va a hablar al conferenciante"?

Duometri

Spain, Spanish
    Hi Elsa,

Blasita is right (as usual;)), bur remember to say the sentence in the order she says: Le preguntamos al conferenciante de qué tema va a hablar/qué tema va a tratar.

If you say Le preguntamos de qué tema va a hablar al conferenciante, you say that you asked somebody what he (that unknown person) was going to talk about to the lecture.

Regards.

Elsa Ginger

Mandrin
    Hi Elsa,

Blasita is right (as usual;)), bur remember to say the sentence in the order she says: Le preguntamos al conferenciante de qué tema va a hablar/qué tema va a tratar.

If you say Le preguntamos de qué tema va a hablar al conferenciante, you say that you asked somebody what he (that unknown person) was going to talk about to the lecture.

Regards.
    Thank you Duometri! I didn't know the small change of word order can result in such a big change in meaning. I used to think that Spanish was the kind of language where word order didn't matter. Well I was wrong. I'll pay attention to things like this in the future.

< Previous | Next >