asked him not to return while she was

SuprunP

Ukrainian & Russian
[...] it was she who had asked him not to return while she was prepar­ing her reply.
(Love in the Time of Cholera, Gabriel García Márquez)

This time my question isn't about this particular sentence, as it seems that I understand it.
She asked him, for example, on Friday, not to return while she was preparing her reply; she was going to do this, for instance, during Saturday and Sunday.

Now I want to convey a slightly different thought:

1) She was sewing when she asked him not to return (maybe not to return at all).
Can (1) be expressed through the following sentence:

'She forgot that it was she who had asked him not to return while she was sewing.'

Thanks.

• Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    I think that the meaning is unclear. I would understand the sentence to mean that he should not return until she had finished sewing.
    Do you mean that while she was sewing, she said 'Do not (ever) return'?
    In this case I would say 'She forgot that it was she who, while she was sewing, had asked him not to return'.

a malta

italiano
    I'd suggest one change to Bevj's suggestion to make it absolutely clear:

'She forgot that it was she who, while she was sewing, had asked him never to return'.
    Hi!
    I'm wondering about the past parfect in the second clause: 'She forgot that it had been she who, while she was...'...it sounds awful, I can see that...still, would it make any tense-sense? Thank you!

< Previous | Next >