Asking about overweight.

Smouse_Crusoe

vietnamese
Hi guys, in the airport, my luggage is overweight and I need to know the excess weight, what should I ask?

1- What over weight do I have?
2- How much weight does my luggage exceed?

Number 2 is my own sentence.
Thank you in advance.

• Barque

Tamil
    How much extra am I carrying?
    How much over the limit am I?

But if you are saying this in reply to an airline official's statement that your luggage is over the limit, you might just ask "By how much?"

Barque

Tamil
    Do you think so? The OP's sentence 2 means "What's the weight that my luggage exceeds?". The answer would be whatever the airline's maximum allowance is. He's asking about how to ask about the excess.

Barque

Tamil
    If you disagree with me on its meaning, perhaps you could explain what you think it means.

The OP asked: How much weight does my luggage exceed?, not By how much weight does my luggage exceed? "Exceed" needs an object in any case.

Last edited:

andrewg927

English - American
    I know you like cryptic answers but the purpose of these threads is to provide clear answers to thread-starters. If you disagree with me on its meaning, perhaps you could explain what you think it means.

The OP asked: How much weight does my luggage exceed?, not By how much weight does my luggage exceed? "Exceed" needs an object in any case.
    I already explained it in post #3. I agree with the OP that sentence 2 is the right way to ask for what he/she wants to ask. That means the question means what the OP intends it to mean. If I was the officer, I would tell the OP that his/her luggage was 2lbs over for example.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    sentence 2 is the right way to ask for what he/she wants to ask
    No, it isn’t. As Barque said, it means “What is the maximum weight allowed?” / “What is the weight that I’m over?” / “What is the weight that I’ve exceeded?”.

andrewg927

English - American
    I thought in my head what kind of response the agent would give to the two questions and I believe they would still give you the answer you look for anyway despite the question being not strictly correct. In my opinion, airport workers rarely hear more than half of what you say so their answers are not perfect responses in the sense of understanding language semantics. There are better suggestions by elroy or barque.

< Previous | Next >