Asking about the texture of food

c3s2ron

Vietnamese
Hello everyone.

There are lots of adjectives to describe food. And I'm trying to make questions to practice. I found some already but I really don't know about the questions for "Textures".

Please help me out. Thanks in advance!

1. Meals => How was the meal?
2. Tastes => How does it taste?
3. Textures => ?
4. Smells => How does it smell?

Source: Describing food

• Hermione Golightly

British English
    I think you would have to ask specifically using suitable vocabulary for the item.
    Is the steak tough/tender?
    Is the bread hard/soft?
    Are the fries crispy/soggy?
    Is the sauce smooth/lumpy?
    And so on.

suzi br

English / England
    What sort of texture did it have?

Note I have used a past tense.
    In your questions you have used some present tense. I advise you to choose one tense and stick to it. Choose depending on whether you are asking students to describe a recent experience (past tense) or the food in general (present tense). Then their answers should also folliw your tense.
    E.g. The meal was tasty. Sugar is sweet.

c3s2ron

Vietnamese
    Thank you for all your help!

I think you would have to ask specifically using suitable vocabulary for the item.
    Is the steak tough/tender?
    Is the bread hard/soft?
    Are the fries crispy/soggy?
    Is the sauce smooth/lumpy?
    And so on.
    Thank you but is there any general question like "How...?" because I want my students have to think for the answers (I mean they have to learn vocabulary of textures instead of just answer Yes / No.

What sort of texture did it have?

Note I have used a past tense.
    In your questions you have used some present tense. I advise you to choose one tense and stick to it. Choose depending on whether you are asking students to describe a recent experience (past tense) or the food in general (present tense). Then their answers should also folliw your tense.
    E.g. The meal was tasty. Sugar is sweet.
    Thank you, I agree we should use 1 tense only for not confusing students. Is it ok for the question of meals: "How is the meal?". Using the past tense I think it is more appropriate since we ask about the students' experience of the meal?

Hermione Golightly

British English
    The problem is that nobody ever asks "What was the texture like?" or "How was the texture?" We use whatever words suit the food we're talking about.
    Asking "How was the steak/the fish/ the sauce and so on, requires them to choose suitable words like 'overdone', 'greasy', 'lumpy', ... whatever, a practice of real language.

suzi br

English / England
    Or you could just say: describe the texture of the food.

It’s perfectly normal to ask questions that do not crop up in « real » conversations as a device to get students using their new vocabulary.

c3s2ron

Vietnamese
    The problem is that nobody ever asks "What was the texture like?" or "How was the texture?" We use whatever words suit the food we're talking about.
    Asking "How was the steak/the fish/ the sauce and so on, requires them to choose suitable words like 'overdone', 'greasy', 'lumpy', ... whatever, a practice of real language.
    Very clear now, thank you!
    Or you could just say: describe the texture of the food.

It’s perfectly normal to ask questions that do not crop up in « real » conversations as a device to get students using their new vocabulary.
    OK thank you, that is easier :D

< Previous | Next >