Asking for ice cream.

Encolpius

Hungarian
Hello, I am not sure how to ask (the gender?) for ice cream in German.

- Eine Schokolade und eine Vanille, bitte. Eine Erdberre, etc :confused::confused::confused: Ein Erdbeere, bitte?

Thanks a lot.

• Kajjo

how to ask (the gender?) for ice cream in German.
    Perfect way:

Ich hätte gerne einen Becher mit drei Kugeln. Schokolade, Vanille und Erdbeere.
    Ich hätte gerne drei Kugeln in einer Waffel. Schokolade, Vanille und Erdbeere.

Shortened, less polite:

Drei Kugeln bitte: Schokolade, Vanille und Erdbeere.

They always want to know first how many balls of ice cream it will be, so that they can select the proper size of waffle or cup to start with.

You will always have the choice between "Becher" (a cup made of cardboard) or "Waffel" (cone-shaped waffle).

Hutschi

- Eine Schokolade und eine Vanille, bitte. Eine Erdberre, etc :confused::confused::confused: Ein Erdbeere, bitte?
    Could you give some context please?

Especially: do you want to take it with you or eat it in a retaurant? Which kind? Kugel, Portion, in a package or in a glass?

I tell what I mean, and partly the discussion showed it.

We have different kinds and they are slightly different from English, maybe.

1. Softeis - this is made in a machine and will vome out as a kind of cylindrical stripe.
    You cannot use "Kugel" here. It is in a Waffel (cone-shaped or like a part of a sphere, depending on size).

This is soft and it is called Softeis. There are different kinds.

If they have only softeis and different sorts, you can order, for example: "einmal Vanille, einmal Schokolare und einmal gemischt". Ususally there are one, two or three kinds.

2. "Eis am Stiel" - this is cylindrical or shaped otherwise. Usually it is Schokoeis, Vanilleeis or Erdbeereis.

You can also order, using ordinal numbers: einmal Schokoeis, zweimal Vanilleeis etc.

3. Kugeleis. (see #2 or #3)

---
    You can also order "zum Mitnehmen" or "außer Haus" in some soft ice shops (Eisdielen or Eisständen).

Note also: "Ice cream" can be called "Eiscreme" - however usually it is just "Eis".
    Eis can be ice or ice creme depending on context.

---
    Basically: Do you order in a restaurant or in a special soft ice shop?
    What form do you order?
    ---

In a restaurant I would always add "Eis" : Einmal Erdbeereis/eine Kugel Erdbeereis

There are also specialities like "Erdbeereisbecher" - this usually includes strawberry ice cream, some strawberries and cream ("Sahne")

Last edited:

Encolpius

Hungarian
    Could you give some context please?

Especially: do you want to take it with you or eat it in a retaurant? Which kind? Kugel, Portion, in a package or in a glass?
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Oh, of course, take it with me, Kugel. That's what I'm interested only.

🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

Hutschi

In this case, you can use #2 and #3.

To mention "Kugel" is necessary if they have other ice cream, too, except you can show them by pointing.
    Else it is enough to use an abbreviation, as in #2 or #3.

The gender of the phrase refers to the base noun.

Eine Kugel (female)
    Ein Eis (neuter)

Examples:
    Ein Vanilleeis, eine Vanilleeiskugel

Last edited: