Asking someone out

Skylynx

English-U.S.
Hey all,

I'm working on a homework project, and was wondering if I could get a little help with some usage. Does anyone know the term for "to go out" in Chinese?

Some context for further reference:

She knew that she did not want to go out with him.
-OR-
"Of course! I'll gladly go out with you!"
-OR-
She also asked him to go out with her to the Fall dance.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks,
Skylynx

• Chinoise

Mandarin
    I think in Chinese it's more specific. In English "going out" can mean both physically going out, or going out on a date.

Here's the translation for your phrases:

She knew that she did not want to go out with him. (她自己知道不想跟他交往) Here 交往 being the "dating" part of "going out".

-OR-
    "Of course! I'll gladly go out with you!" (當然啊﹐我很高興跟你交往)

-OR-
    She also asked him to go out with her to the Fall dance. (她也邀請他一起去秋天舞會。)

Of course, there's also 約會 as going on a date. For instance:

A: 小明去哪兒了﹖ (Where is 小明?)​
    B: 他跟新女朋友約會去了。 (He's on a date with his new girlfriend)

Hope this helps.

Geysere

Chinese - China
    She also asked him to go out with her to the Fall dance.
    For "ask someone out" you can say "约某人出去". Though it sounds unspecific but people generally know what it implies.
    For "go out with someone" it's harder to translate, but I think Chinoise already gave detailed explanation. Just to add that you can say "在一起" to indicate two people are involved. E.g. "我不想跟你在一起" ~ "I don't feel like going out with you."

Last edited:

Chinoise

Mandarin
    Geysere is a lot more subtle than I am, which is what Chinese or most Asians do. (The CORRECT way!)

"我不想跟你在一起" is more in the line of "I don't want to be with you". This is an even more subtle way than saying "我不想跟你交往".

Having said that, "约某人出去" is also very subtle and sometimes ambiguous, for instance, it is not limited to asking someone out on a date, althought it could imply that depending on the context and situation. For example, I could be 约朋友出去, and this 朋友 could just be a same sex friend and not a date.

< Previous | Next >