Aspect ratio

you3

Japanese
Hi, all.

Can I call an aspect ratio where the lengths of x and y are the same, such as 1:1, 2:2, or 3:3 … a square ratio?
Also, what do you call an aspects ratio where the lengths of x and y are different?

I want to use these terms on apps, so that I'm looking for handy and understandable terms.

Thank you

• Packard

USA, English
    Hi, all.

Can I call an aspect ratio where the lengths of x and y are the same, such as 1:1, 2:2, or 3:3 … a square ratio?
    Also, what do you call an aspects ratio where the lengths of x and y are different?

I want to use these terms on apps, so that I'm looking for handy and understandable terms.

Thank you
    I would just call it "square" and leave off the "ratio".

Addendum: Wiki seems to agree.

Aspect ratio (image) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Square video and vertical video[edit]
    Video consumption on social apps has grown rapidly and led to the emergence of new video formats more suited to mobile devices that can be held in horizontal and vertical orientations. Square video was popularized by mobile apps Instagram and Vine and has since been supported by other major social platforms including Facebook and Twitter. It can fill nearly twice as much screen space compared to 16:9 format (when the device is held differently while viewing from how video was recorded). Vertical video (9:16) was popularized by Snapchat and is also now being adopted by Twitter and Facebook.

Additionally I would comment that my Hasselblad camera was always referred to as having a "square format" (the image size on the film was 2¼" x 2¼").

you3

Japanese
    Thank you for the reply, Packard.
    It's really helpful.
    "Square" is short and simple enough :thumbsup:

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    You may well call it "square video" or something like that, but "square aspect ratio" doesn't really work, and neither does "square ratio". A ratio is a one-dimensional number and can't be square.

you3

Japanese
    You may well call it "square video" or something like that, but "square aspect ratio" doesn't really work, and neither does "square ratio". A ratio is a one-dimensional number and can't be square.
    Thank you, Edinburgher.
    I still don't really understand what "ratio" is:confused: but I understand that "square ratio" sounds strange;)

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Although a ratio is often expressed as two numbers separated by a colon (pronounced "to"), it is really just the quotient you get by dividing the first number by the second (or the other way round).

If one distance or weight or volume is 5 units and the other is 4 units, we can say that their ratio is 5:4 (five to four). We can reduce this by dividing both numbers by 4 so that the right hand number becomes 1. Then the ratio is 1.25:1 (one point two five to one), or we can just say that the ratio is 1.25.

< Previous | Next >