asperity in the body?

Shimmer Dancer

Chinese
If a person suffers from pain over all his body, let's says he got chickenpox, is it OK to use the phrase "asperity of the flesh/in the body"? There are only a few google search results, not sure if this collocation is idiomatic?

• Well, I had to look up the word "asperity" so that should tell you it's not too idiomatic or common. :)

"of the flesh" "in the body" sound archaic and Biblical/Shakespearean, the English of centuries ago. Not too common.:)

Do you mean something like "He's got chickenpox, so he hurts all over" ?

(his body is understood, so is not said in this set phrase idiom: "I fell, and now I hurt all over."

Do you mean as a separate matter that he's got rough patches on his skin due to the chickenpox, but you saw that "asperity" was given a dictionary synonym of rough?

If so, that kind of rough means difficult to accomplish/severe in manner.

But rough has another quite different meaning of "not smooth in texture/feels scratchy when you touch it." A cat's whiskers, hair stubble on the skin, a brick, are some examples.

So, now that you know there's a difference, other posters and I might be able to offer better suggestions when we know what you're trying to say. I'm not quite sure yet.

Shimmer Dancer

Chinese
    Thank you for helping and explaining.
    I meant to say he hurts all over, but was not sure if asperity could refer to physical pain. (Let's leave "of the flesh" and "in his body" aside.)

I've learned that we usually use pain or hurt to describe physical pain, but I also saw in some dictionaries asperity also means hardship, so I am sure if this word is also ok.

I have never come across "asperity" in the "pain" context of the OP. In a medical context the term (used in the science of materials - unevenness of surface, roughness) is sometimes used in relation to friction, lubrication and wear of natural and artificial joints. It seems to be a very technical word. As Dale says, it certainly is not in common use. Tribologists may use it, but "tribologist" is another word that most of us need to look up in a dictionary.

< Previous | Next >