assembly (mech. eng.)

brian

AmE (New Orleans)
Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out the best term in German for assembly in the context of building machines. My definition for assembly is very particular: an assembly is a group of related components (component parts) that you can assemble (put together) into a composite part. Therefore, an assembly is a group of assembled parts which together make up a component part of a machine--they alone are not a machine. It takes multiple assemblies to build a full machine.

I'm struggling for a decent term in German. Here is what I have come up with:

Zusammenbau
Montage
(these two are the standard words for "assembly," I think)

Baugruppe
Bauteil
Zusammenbaugruppe
Zusammenbauteil
(???) (these are just me trying to come closer to the real meaning of the English term)

Any ideas? :) Thanks!

Edit: See related thread on installation group.

Last edited:
  • Robocop

(Swiss) German
    My definition for assembly is very particular: an assembly is a group of related components (component parts) that you can assemble (put together) into a composite part. Therefore, an assembly is a group of assembled parts which together make up a component part of a machine--they alone are not a machine. It takes multiple assemblies to build a full machine.

Baugruppe:tick:
    In English, quite interestingly, the product of an assembly (Zusammenbau, Montage) may be an assembly (Baugruppe) as well. Besides, in my opinion, a whole machine may be viewed as a single assembly (Baugruppe) being part of a larger installation (plant).

Last edited:

89ten

german
    Baugruppe is more specific and indicates exactly a sEt of components put together. Zusammenbau
    can indicate process of assembly and not an assembly as such.

< Previous | Next >