assign various elements

avicennawisdom

Persian
Hello,

I can't understand the relevance between the blue phrase and the sentence before. I would be so grateful if you could help me.

"A closely related rule of thumb is to consider the temporal priority it would be reasonable to assign various elements. One normally makes the assumptions of a theory, whether consciously or not, before one makes one's theoretical claim or begins to think seriously about the consequences of that claim."

A Preface to Philosophy, by Mark B. Woodhouse

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    "Temporal priorities" would be the order in which each of the elements should be dealt with. One should be done first, another after that was done, but before another, and so on.

You could consider which place in that order should be assigned to each element --- which temporal priority it would be reasonable to assign to the various elements. The next sentence puts this 'rule of thumb' into practice.

If you need help with 'rule of thumb', see this thread: A rule of thumb

dmz11

English - US
    I can't understand the relevance between the blue phrase and the sentence before. I would be so grateful if you could help me.

"A closely related rule of thumb is to consider the temporal priority it would be reasonable to assign various elements.
    I think the sentence might be clearer if you inserted "that" between "temporal priority" and "it." Right now, "that" is merely implied.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    The 'elements' are the parts of whatever it is the author is discussing. You have the preceding text, so you probably know better than I what that would be. However, my guess from the following sentences is that these would be the 'elements' of a theory.

Ben Jamin

Polish
    I think the sentence might be clearer if you inserted "that" between "temporal priority" and "it." Right now, "that" is merely implied.
    I think that the sentence would be even clearer if it was changed like this:

"A closely related rule of thumb is to consider the temporal priority that would be reasonable to assign to various elements."
    By the way, a terribly abstract sentence!

dmz11

English - US
    I think that the sentence would be even clearer if it was changed like this:

"A closely related rule of thumb is to consider the temporal priority that would be reasonable to assign to various elements."
    Agreed. That's the clearest statement of that particular word grouping.

< Previous | Next >