assigned to a beat

evergreenhomeland

Chinese
Hello everyone:

How to understand "assigned to a beat" in following sentences? experience a trouble?

Well,I think you get the point about bad nouns. (Don’t worry—in aminute I’ll tell you about good nouns.) Ibring this up today because most of you will soon be assigned to abeat in one of New York’s neighborhoods. Ourcity has been greatly enriched in recent years by immigrants fromevery corner of the world, but their arrival has also brought amultitude of complex urban problems.

The source is the essay "Writing English as a Second Language" by William Zinsser from The American Scholar.
Thanks in advance

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    Oh, Can you give me a reference link?
    You don't need one. Look in the WR dictionary via the link at the top of this page. It's definition 4 of beat as a noun.

This term is used for the area covered by a reporter as well as a police officer. Since Zinsser used it in a talk to journalism students, I'm fairly sure that was the meaning he intended.

evergreenhomeland

Chinese
    No, I want detailed info about the word.
    I had been assigned to a beat.(Even that country does not use the word)

Last edited:

evergreenhomeland

Chinese
    Thanks for your notice.

In Japan, new comers must register for a residential card in a local Urban office. Officers there does not explicitly mention some sort of "a beat".

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I hope you are clear, EGH, that Zinsser is saying that these young journalists will be working in a part of the city, just as policemen as assigned to particular parts of a city (their beats). He's using a metaphor, likening the journalists to policemen.

They will encounter bad nouns, just as policemen encounter bad people.

evergreenhomeland

Chinese
    I hope you are clear, EGH, that Zinsser is saying that these young journalists will be working in a part of the city, just as policemen as assigned to particular parts of a city (their beats). He's using a metaphor, likening the journalists to policemen.

They will encounter bad nouns, just as policemen encounter bad people.
    So they got such an assignment to write various articles about the area he or she is responsible for?

< Previous | Next >