assignment vs assignation

Discussion in 'English Only' started by theironist, Jun 24, 2013.

1. theironist Member

France
    French
    Hi everyone,

I'm working on project that consists in determining when our clients are going to complete deployment steps that will allow us to consider them as top clients.

Therefore, I need to assign them to a month (= the date when I think they'll be ready). I was wondering what was the best way to put it between the 2 following expressions: client assignation process or client assignment process?

Is there any difference between assignment and assignation or those two words are just similar?

Thanks

The ironist

2. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    Generally speaking an assignment is a task that has been given to you whereas an assignation is a (possibly illicit) meeting between two people.

3. wandle

wandle Senior Member

London
    English - British
    What is the context of the proposed term? Is it part of a document which the clients will read? Or is it an option which you will be selecting within a computer program?

4. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    Sorry I didn't read the question carefully enough. I would use "assignment" (but more context would help).

5. theironist Member

France
    French
    Basically, you need to assess how long it's going to take for every client to become a "top client" (several aspects are being taken into account such as financial results, duration of the business relationship, etc.)

Here, the goal is to determine what is the best word to use when you wanna talk about the process of putting a client into a category (in other words, "assign it to a category"): assignment or assignation?

The example is fictional but it's based on something similar that I had to do.

Thanks for your previous answers.

6. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    I still prefer "assignment"

Note
    Please don't use "wanna". It is not an accepted abbreviation and looks very uneducated in any writing other than song lyrics. ;)

7. wandle

wandle Senior Member

London
    English - British
    As between those choices, 'assignment' is better; but I cannot say it is the best or the natural choice without more clarity on the context.
    Is it a piece of terminology for a computer program, or simply a general term for talking about the process, or something else?

8. theironist Member

France
    French
    I'd say it's more of a general term for talking about the process. I need to give a month for each client and I wanna know what the best word is for the process of assigning a client to a month (assigning someone or something to a category in general). Maybe the verb "to assign" or the words "assignation-assignement"are not appropriate in that case. Can you say "assign a client to a category of clients" or it doesn't make sense?

Generally speaking, what is the difference between assignation and assignment as they can both mean "the act of assigning"?

9. theironist Member

France
    French
    Sorry about "I wanna", you're right!

10. wandle

wandle Senior Member

London
    English - British
    Could you give an example of a sentence in which you would use the term (if you were proposing the plan in a paper, say)?

11. suzi br

suzi br Senior Member

Cheshire
    English / England
    You might need assigning. Without the actual sentence, within which the word will slot, it is absolutely impossible to say for sure