assis-debout / appui ischiatique / repose-fesses

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Taupinette, Apr 4, 2012.

  1. Taupinette New Member

    Hello / Bonjour,

    I'm looking for the translation of these words (we don't have a real definition in French):
    assis-debout / appui ischiatique / repose-fesses / miséricorde
    They are often used in the public transportation systems (bus, tram, underground, ropeways), where they enable the passengers to rest a little without sitting properly. They often replace the jump seats.
    They tend to appear also in railway stations where little room is available : when people are semi-seated, they remain quite vertical, whereas when they seat they tend to loll their legs, using a lot of space.
    A picture to understand :

    I have seen 'high-stool' as a proposal, but I don't think that it would be the right word.
    My proposal would be "semi-seated seat" or maybe "semi-seating bench" :s.

    Thanks for your help!
  2. NRNRNR Senior Member

    English (UK)
    perhaps some sort of "rest", or something to do with "leaning"

    an upright back-rest or a leaning back-rest or something?

    i dont think you can use the word seat as the object resembles nothing to do with a seat, it is merely something to make leaning against the wall a little bit more comfortable!
  3. Taupinette New Member

    Thanks for the reply,

    the problem is that these elements are sometimes combinated to backrests (see picture below)
    And the aim is to differenciate both elements...
  4. NRNRNR Senior Member

    English (UK)
    hmmmm, maybe a half-seat with backrest?
  5. NRNRNR Senior Member

    English (UK)
    actually they are sometimes referred to as "perches", implying that they aren't something you sit on, you "perch" on it instead....
  6. Santana2002 Senior Member

    English, from Ireland
    Not knowing what the official word is, I have always called these, and heard them called 'bum rests', however a perch may be a slightly more correct term.
  7. Taupinette New Member

    The idea of "perching" on these elements is quite interesting.

    Bum rest would be close to 'repose-fesses', which is sometimes used (and considered correct enough) in French. However, 'bum' seems to be quite colloquial, am I right?
    Then, what about 'buttock rest' or 'rump rest' (only to make it less colloquial). Can someone please confirm/correct these proposals?

    Thank you!
  8. NRNRNR Senior Member

    English (UK)
    A perch implies that you rest against something with you bum, but personally i wouldnt put the word "bum" in the translation in any form!
  9. CarlosRapido

    CarlosRapido Senior Member

    Québec - Canada
    français - English (Can)
    The term 'rumble seat' has been in use since the 30's or earlier. I think it would fit here
  10. NRNRNR Senior Member

    English (UK)
    isn't a rumble seat more of an extra seat that would flip out the boot of an old-fashioned car? I've never heard a seat in a train station/on a train referred to as a rumble seat, but perhaps that's just in england....
  11. Taupinette New Member

    @ CarlosRapido : I agree with NRNRNR, according to wikipedia and the GDT, a rumble-seat is an extra-seat on oldtimers.

    What about, quite simply, "semi-seated"?
  12. NRNRNR Senior Member

    English (UK)
    semi-seated is more a description of the person rather than the object, as in a person can be semi-seated on a perch, but personally i wouldn't describe an object as being semi-seated.....
  13. CarlosRapido

    CarlosRapido Senior Member

    Québec - Canada
    français - English (Can)

Share This Page