assist someone <in completing / to complete >...

lca70

spanish
How could I say?
I assisted someone in completing the form...
I assisted someone to complete the form ...
I assisted someone completing the form...

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Naive speakers don't usually say "assist someone to do something". If you do that in school, a teacher will probably correct you. However, it is understandable, and it's likely that some native speaker somewhere has used it.

lca70

spanish
    Naive speakers don't usually say "assist someone to do something". If you do that in school, a teacher will probably correct you. However, it is understandable, and it's likely that some native speaker somewhere has used it.
    well, I use that phrase so frequently (notes for work) that I need to be sure I am doing it correctly...

lingobingo

English - England
    To sound fluent in English, you can’t go far wrong if you use the verb help rather than assist in all everyday spoken contexts.

Assist is mainly used in formal writing (e.g. “Governments have a responsibility to assist refugees”), or in other forms, such as “Can I be of any assistance?”.

lca70

spanish
    To sound fluent in English, you can’t go far wrong if you use the verb help rather than assist in all everyday spoken contexts.

Assist is mainly used in formal writing (e.g. “Governments have a responsibility to assist refugees”), or in other forms, such as “Can I be of any assistance?”.
    Thank you !, the matter is that I should use the verb assist, not help. And yes, is for using it in formal writing.

Linkway

British English
    I helped him to knock down his garden wall. :tick:

Note that when you assist/help someone, it may be important to differentiate between:

--- working in partnership with the other person - eg you both worked together on the task;

--- doing the task FOR the other person;
    eg I helped Jack by knocking down his garden wall for him while he was in hospital.

I helped him to fill in the form. He did most of it himself, but some questions were quite difficult.

I helped him by filling in the form for him.

Last edited:

lca70

spanish
    I helped him to knock down his garden wall. :tick:

Note that when you assist/help someone, it may be important to differentiate between:

--- working in partnership with the other person - eg you both worked together on the task;

--- doing the task FOR the other person;
    eg I helped Jack by knocking down his garden wall for him while he was in hospital.

I helped him to fill in the form. He did most of it himself, but some questions were quite difficult.

I helped him by filling in the form for him.

thank you!!!

< Previous | Next >