assist someone to do/in doing something

Discussion in 'English Only' started by EdisonBhola, Dec 4, 2018.

1. EdisonBhola Senior Member

Korean
    Hi all,

From the dictionary I've learnt that two sentence patterns can be used with "assist":

1) assist someone to do something
    2) assist someone in doing something

Are they interchangeable, or is one pattern better than the other in certain contexts?

My example is this:
    Here at Company ABC, we are pleased to assist you to find/in finding your dream job!

Many thanks!

2. lingobingo

lingobingo Senior Member

London
    English - England
    1) assist someone to do something :thumbsdown:
    1) help someone [to] do something :thumbsup:

2) assist someone in doing something :tick:

3. pops91710

pops91710 Senior Member

Chino, California
    English, AE
    I can only comment on your example "Here at Company ABC, we are pleased to assist you to find/in finding your dream job!" because numbers one and two have no context. Context will make either one correct.
    As for Here at Company ABC, we are pleased to assist you to find/in finding your dream job! in finding is correct in this context.

4. EdisonBhola Senior Member

Korean
    But MacMillan Dictionary gives this entry:

to make a job or piece of work easier to do

assist someone to do something: The scheme assists young people to find work.

I understand dictionaries sometimes include usages that aren't common; I'd just like to check if it's used at all.

5. lingobingo

lingobingo Senior Member

London
    English - England
    Of course, it’s not wrong, hence the thumbs-down rather than a cross. But it’s less common than help + bare infinitive, and to my ears less natural-sounding. The Macmillan example is okay as a formal statement, but I would much prefer a gerund version: The scheme assists young people in finding work (as would pops, judging by #3). And on a more everyday level:

Would you assist me to do this, please? :thumbsdown: · Would you help me do this, please? :thumbsup:

6. EdisonBhola Senior Member

Korean
    Thank you very much for your clarification! :)