Assist to or to Assist

NateA

English
In reviewing a colleagues work I came across the following sentence:

"The program will assisst the customer to lower his bills"

I've seen this before and the use of the verb assist in this manner doesn't sit right with me, but I cannot find a reason why it is wrong. Can anyone confirm if this is proper?

• ewie

English English
    Hi Nate ~ welcome to the forum:)
    It doesn't sit at all right with me either. Assist somebody in doing something is what I'd use (if I wasn't using the more straightforward help). I have no idea why this should be, though ~ some verbs do one thing, others don't:D

..JustBe..

American English
    There is nothing wrong with assist. It's just a nicer way of saying help.

It might be the end of the sentence:

The program will assist the customer in lowering his bills.

...might sound a little nicer?

ryooster

Korean
    In reviewing a colleagues work I came across the following sentence:

"The program will assisst the customer to lower his bills"

I've seen this before and the use of the verb assist in this manner doesn't sit right with me, but I cannot find a reason why it is wrong. Can anyone confirm if this is proper?
    When I lookup up the Longman Dictionary, It say that "Do not say 'assist someone to do something'. Say assist someone with something or assist someone in doing something"
    http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/assist_1
    So I think the above sentence is wrong gramatically.

NateA

English
    Great! Thanks Ryooster for the link...I'll look into it. Maybe it will provide the reasoning for why it is wrong. I'm an engineer so I always like rules to follow! :)

Glad I found this forum...as I age I find myself more intruuged about language issues that went in one ear and out the other back when I was in "grammar" school! :)

< Previous | Next >