assist

• Meysha

Australia, English
    Or do you mean that you were physically there when the modifications happened?

This would be something like:
    "I was present during the modifications..."
    "I was at the modifications...."

mjscott

American English
    I was assisting in/on/at/by the modification of the power plant.

"I was assisting in the modification of the power plant"--(If you were an engineer and that was your job, and you were explaining to someone what you did at the reactor site for the last 3 years....)

"I was assisting on the modification of the power plant."--(If the modification of the power plant was a project that pre-existed before you became a part of it....)

"I was assisting at the modification of the power plant."--(If the assisting was a one-time deal called "the modification of the power plant" and you went to that event and assisted....)

I was assisted by the modification of the power plant. Normally people on an individual basis are not assisted by the modification of a power plant, but gramatically it would be correct.

"I was assisting by the modification of the power plant" is not correct. I have corrected it above to create a gramatically correct sentence, but I can't think of when I would use it in context, as usually people are not assisted by a modification of a power plant.

Nick

USA, English
    mjscott said:
    If the assisting was a one-time deal called "the modification of the power plant"...

"I was assisting by the modification of the power plant" is not correct.
    Actually, I think it is correct. For example, if "the modification of the power plant" was a drawing or a scale model of the power plant building, you could go assist by ("in close proximity to") it because assist can be an intransitive verb. I know that you can say "I was sitting by the modification of the power plant", so surely you can say that you were assisting by it. ;)

mjscott

American English
    Thanks, Nick. Yeah, I suppose that if there were a power plant, and if that power plant had a modification that people knew as "the modification of the power plant," and you were somewhere nearby assisting with something (sort-of like, "by the river" ) you could be assisting by the modification of the power plant. I spoke too soon to say it was not correct.
    "Nick assisted by the erred modification of the wordreference forum."

< Previous | Next >