Associating a phrasal and a non-phrasal verbs

mekman99

Berber

This sincere advisor calls to good manners, and to inculcate and foster them among youngs.

Normally for the verb inculcate, I should use in or into, but with foster i don't know how to proceed.
Can we say?:
This sincere advisor calls to good manners, to foster and inculcate them into youngs.

sorry inoculate*

Inculcate ***

Last edited by a moderator:
  • cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Please make up your mind, mekman99. Inoculate or inculcate?

Inculcate makes much better sense in the first sentence of your post.

I am accustomed to seeing inculcate xxxxxx, where xxxxxxx is a noun.
    It is also normal to say, "Inculcate xxxxx among yyyyyyy" where yyyyyyy is the name or description of a group.

Here is an example: "The agreement will inculcate discipline among Asean countries so that achieving the AFTA objectives in 2015 will be easy," he told the Dewan Negara ...
    www.bilaterals.org/article.php3?id_article=13954 - Cached

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Two off-topic corrections: I don't know what 'calls to good manners' means - calls for good manners, perhaps? And the people who need the good manners are 'the young'.

I would say we foster good manners in the young, and inculcate good manners in or into or among the young. So in this example they can share 'in': the advisors want to foster and inculcate good manners in the young.

If however they needed different prepositions (let's say 'inculcate' had to have 'among'), then it sounds more awkward - you really need to break the intonation after each preposition: the advisors want to foster good manners in, and inculcate them among, the young. This also means they can't share their object ('good manners', 'them').

< Previous | Next >