association vs organization

stephent74

Chinese--Beijing
Hi,there

I see no difference between the two words, association and organization, when they mean a group of people organized for a particular purpose.

to use which, seems to me is a matter of habit?

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Hello stephent74. :)

If you give us a sentence in which you think you might use these words, we will be able to discuss what differences there are, if any, between the words.

stephent74

Chinese--Beijing
    Thanks, Natalie and Cagey.

I can give an example, but my example might not be very illuminating / able to bring out the subtle difference. I came aross this in a book:

Both sides overlook the highest end of political association, which for Aristotle is to cultivate the virtue of citizens.

Cagey

English - US
    I think that is a very good example to show one difference.

Here 'association' means people's connection and interaction with one another. Aristotle thinks this kind of interaction cultivates (encourages) the growth of virtue in the citizens.

Organization would not work here. "Political organization" would mean the way in which things are set up, such as how leaders are chosen, who makes certain decisions, and so on. "Political organization" refers to the structure, not the interactions that take place within it. In itself, it would not cultivate virtue.

(Please give us the name of the book. We always ask for the source. ;))

stephent74

Chinese--Beijing
    Yeah, I actually had a feeling that organization is not going to work here.

The book is Justice---what is the right thing to do.

Thanks for your explanation. My English is very limited and following names might very well be wrong: Is it Green Peace organization? Animal protection organization?

Cagey

English - US
    If organization is not part of the name, we are not likely to refer to it this way. We would say something like, "the organization called Greenpeace," or "Greenpeace, an organization that works to preserve the natural environment." (The organization spells its name as one word.)

Sometimes organization is part of the name, as in The World Organization for Animal Health. In this case, we capitalize the word.

< Previous | Next >