assoluto riserbo

The original sentence:

Le prenotazioni sono già in corso, e tra i collezionisti anche nomi eccellenti su cui però si mantiene il più assoluto riserbo.

My attempt:

The reservations are already ongoing, and between the collectors also excellent names on which it remains tight-lipped.

La parte in corsivo mi suona terribile; ho trovato però l'espressione "to remain tight-lipped" sul dizionario, col significato di "mantenere il riserbo"... ma non riesco proprio a sistemarla!

Can you help me?!

thanks a lot!

• london calling

UK English
    Ciao!

Bookings have already been made, but the Art Gallery (qual'è il soggetto "vero"?) is keeping any famous names quiet/remains tight-lipped as to any famous names.

I'm sure someone can do better than that, but it's a start!;)

k_georgiadis

English (AmE)
    The reservations have already begun and among the collectors there are several noted names about which one must, however, observe strict rules of confidentiality (or, secrecy).

baldpate

UK, English
    Suggerirei l'uso di "discretion" - forse the "utmost discretion".

"Reservations/Bookings are already in hand, and among the collectors are some first-rate/leading names, about whom however the utmost discretion must be maintained."

O, se preferiresti la forma attiva : "... , to whom however we must accord with the utmost discretion."

Crossed with KG : yes - the "one must..." form is much better in this case!

london calling

UK English
    "Reservations/Bookings are already in hand, and among the collectors are some first-rate/leading names, about whom however the utmost discretion must be maintained."

O, se preferiresti la forma attiva : "... , to which however we must accord with the utmost discretion."
    I DID say someone would come up with something better! Yes, baldpate,very "British";). Keep the aspidistra flying!:D

EDIT: LaPiru, I think this is fine even if you're talking about bike wheels! And yes, reservation is better in that context...

Thank you for your help!

SO (as Paul suggested "greatest secrecy") it should become:

...and between the collectors also excellent names on which it remains the greatest secrecy. ...?...

And for you, London calling... it's not an Art gallery, unfortunately :(, but a special limited edition of bike wheels, so special that they need to make a reservation on line to be sure... i wouldn't use Bookings as it sounds to me too much related to travel and similar... but please tell me if i'm wrong :confused:!

the true subject is... "a third person". It's not a specific subject, but at least two or three subjects together. It means that all the people involved in this project are "keeping the secret" about those excellent names. Bookings are not already made (which seems to me "they're finished"), but they're "still going on"...

Any suggestion?! :eek:

OH MY GOD!

I always write to much and I missed the other answers! :rolleyes:

Lovely answers, by the way! :thumbsup:

Thank you guys... you're always so precious! :)

---

...toO much :D

Last edited by a moderator: