assumption, hypothesis, theory

< Previous | Next >

NickJunior

Khmer
Hello All,

I have a question concerning three specific words: assumption, hypothesis, and theory. Do these three words mean the same thing and refer to the cause-and-effect laws? I mean can I say:

1) My assumption is that if a person has 32 teeth, then the person is an adult.

2) My hypothesis is that if a person has 32 teeth, then the person is an adult.

3) My theory is that if a person has 32 teeth, then the person is an adult.

Thank you for all of your clarifications.

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    In everyday speech or in an informal context, as in the example you posit, all three words fit, roughly. In a more formal or a scientific setting, they each have very different meanings, and, if you intend to use them in your writing, I suggest you look up their definitions in the dictionary.

NickJunior

Khmer
    ...In a more formal or a scientific setting, they each have very different meanings, and, if you intend to use them in your writing, I suggest you look up their definitions in the dictionary.
    Hi Bibliolept, yes I took your advice and looked each word up in the dictionary. I am still puzzled because to my understanding they all mean the same. Here is the description of each word:

theory = hypotheis (n) = a belief, policy, or procedure proposed or followed as the basis of of action.

assumption = presupposition = presumption (n) = something that is taken for granted or advanced as fact.

Please point out how are the three words different.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    An assumption is a fact/principle/idea that you use as a base/basis, though you cannot prove it, necessarily.
    A hypothesis, strictly speaking, is falsifiable: you can test whether it can be unproven.
    A theory is a set of principles or ideas that underpin an action/system/etc.

I should point out that there are multiple definitions for each of these words.

NickJunior

Khmer
    An assumption is a fact/principle/idea that you use as a base/basis, though you cannot prove it, necessarily.
    A hypothesis, strictly speaking, is falsifiable: you can test whether it can be unproven.

Wow. I like your defintions better than the ones given in the Merriam-Webster based Language Master. Thank again.

eaam

no

Hi bibliolept

please can give a full refence from which you have got these difintions as in need that in research please

Chomsky

Egypt-Arabic
    Hi bibliolept

please can give a full refence from which you have got these difintions as in need that in research please
    A theory is simply an explanation of a phenomenon.It is the result of having tested your assumptions and hypotheses empirically.There are two ways of theoryzing:deductive,by starting from given premises and using data to verify them then establish your theory,or inductive where you start from the data itself and reach consistent explanations of the phenomenon that scientists call a theory.Usually the latter is more powerful mode of theorizing and favoured over the deductive "arm-chair" theorizing.A theory has to be falsifiable,as a theory that explains everything actually explains nothing.

< Previous | Next >