Assure/ensure/certify/state?

< Previous | Next >

Aelli

Russian
A sentence from my homework "Don't worry, we'll .... that the matter is taken care of." The options for the gap are "assure", "ensure", "certify" and "state". I would opt for "assure" but I'm confused with the future tense, I think that "certify" is also possible, like they'll provide them with some official proof that the matter is taken care of. Which one do I choose? Why?

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Certification only takes place after the event, and so certify would require "Don't worry, we'll certify that the matter has been taken care of."

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    "Assure", "certify", and "state" are verbs of speech or communication.
    All three mean, essentially, "We will tell (someone) that the matter is taken care of."
    "We will ensure..." means we will cause the matter to be taken care of. This seems to go better with "Don't worry".

Aelli

Russian
    "Assure", "certify", and "state" are verbs of speech or communication.
    All three mean, essentially, "We will tell (someone) that the matter is taken care of."
    "We will ensure..." means we will cause the matter to be taken care of. This seems to go better with "Don't worry".
    So in this case, "ensure" fits the best?

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    I would choose "ensure", because I'm worried about the matter.
    I would choose one of the communication verbs if I were worried about what people think of the matter.

< Previous | Next >