assurer ton existence

William Holmes

English - United Kingdom
Can anyone explain the expression "assurer ton existence" in the following sentence written by a French soldier to his mother in 1915?

La Paix alors ne serait pas éloignée et ceux qui auront la chance d'échapper au carnage pourront retrouver ceux qu'ils aiment. Si je ne suis pas de ceux-là, ma bonne mère, tu devras assurer ton existence, car il est trop tard pour que je te guide.

• langkuoch

English - Canada, Khmer
    This isn't a literal meaning, but may I suggest something along the lines of "make sure you live on" or "ensure that you continue living"? Not a native speaker, but that's the feeling I get from it.

William Holmes

English - United Kingdom
    Thank you langkuoch - that sounds good to me - I just wondered if it was a reference to life insurance - and did that exist in 1915?

Reynald

français - France
    "You will have to support yourself" (if I don't escape the carnage).

His old mother was probably financially dependent upon him before he went to war since there were no pensions, or very small pensions in those days.

AJ2018

English - United Kingdom
    I know I'm a little late, but I think the phrase you are going for in English is: "make sure she's taken care of."

This is the standard phrase we use when referring to making sure someone's basic needs are met. This could be financial or otherwise. But, "make sure she's / he's / they're / are taken care of" truly captures the thrust of this idea.

OLN

French - France, ♀
    It's not to making sure someone else's basic needs are met.
    Le soldat est au front et écrit à sa mère "tu devras assurer ton existence" : You will have to cope/to take care of/ to support/to provide for yourself.